Sunday, March 15, 2009

Old NYC



Anyone who knows me well is aware that I have a huge obsession with anything old (think 50's & 60's especially) and anything related to NYC. While taking my daily browse through New York Magazine's website, I came across an article about dying storefronts in NYC. Small mom and pop stores closing up due to the recession/competition etc.

Photographers James and Karla Murray have been documenting these fading shops for the past eight years. Their book came out in January and I might just have to pick this one up because I find these photos so sadly beautiful. For the full article go here and check out the photographer's website here.

It truly pains me to know that so many of these old beauties are fading away only to be replaced by the Home Depots and Wal-Marts of the world. I hope that through this current downfall we will finally learn that bigger does not necessarily equal better.

3 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful and make me want to run back east.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My god, I know! Someone should have told the google maps people to slow down and take really nice high-res photos of these sorts of places while they were out photographing the entire world. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete