Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Artist Lecture: Craig Thompson







A while back a co-worker recommended Blankets (Craig Thompson's memoir) to me, which I basically devoured. It was honestly one of my first ventures into the world of graphic novels, and after reading this wonderful story, I will definitely be reading more of this genre. If you haven't read Blankets, please do. It's fantastic.

Last night I was lucky enough to see Craig Thompson speak at the Minneapolis College of Art and Design. He is so talented, my goodness! His new graphic novel just came out last week, and it is truly a work of art. Habibi took seven years to make, but once you see it, you will understand why. He does everything himself, by hand. It's pretty incredible to see the amount of detail and research that went into this masterpiece.


2 comments:

  1. Hi, Emily! I found your blog via your earlier tweet. If you are looking for other graphic novels to jump into you should check out the work of Marjane Satrapi (http://barclayagency.com/satrapi.html)... Persepolis and others. Maus I & II, mentioned in that description of Satrapi's work, are also great to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Martha! Thanks for the suggestions, I have read all of those and they are great! If you have any other recommendations I would love to know what they are!

    ReplyDelete